The Marquis Jacome Correia Palace is located in the center of the capital of Sao Miguel island in Ponta Delgada. The palace and elaborate surrounding gardens were built-in 1846 and completed in 1866 by the initiative of the wealthy aristocrat Jose Jacome Correia. The palace was designed in the Neo-Classical French style with the interiors filled with beautiful Portuguese tiles, ornate woodwork, and fine Italian marble. During the visit of the King and Queen of Portugal to the Azores in 1901, the Marquis commissioned the young Azorean artist Domingues Rebelo to paint various scenes of the royal couples’ trip to the island, which he had placed throughout the palace. The beautiful dining room was always the scene of high society dinners and fashionable European balls. The photo below shows the house in its original color while under the ownership of the Marquis and then his heirs until 1977 when it was sold to the Regional Government to become the House of the Presidency of the Azores. It was custom at the time to paint the large manor homes and palaces in light pink, yellow, and light blue. Jose Jacome Correia was one of the most influential figures in Azorean history in the 19th century, with his heirs remaining an integral part of Portuguese high society for over 4 centuries. Jose Jacome Correia was one of the men of his time that decided to invest heavily in many sectors of the Azorean economy, always trying to elevate its beauty while promoting the various agriculture sectors he helped to initiate on the islands. The postcard below from the early 1900s represents a time over a century ago when this elaborate private estate required constant care and maintenance. On any given day of the week, there would always be at least 20-25 gardeners and maintenance workers manicuring and pruning this elaborate private garden. The palace has been restored since its purchase from the Jacome Correia family in 1977, with beautiful hand-painted ceilings with unique floral designs easily making it one of the classier 19th-century buildings still standing on the island. Since Jose Jacome Correia had no children when he passed away in 1886 the vast estate and his holdings passed on to his mother which she passed on to her son Jose’s brother the Count Pedro Jacome Correia which he left to his son Aires Jacome Correia who was given the royal title of the 1st Marquis of Jacome Correia since his fathers’ title as the count was just for 1 generation and not to be passed down. Jacome Correia Hintze Ribeiro after having the property in the family for hundreds of years sold it to the Government and since 1977 it has been the Head of the Azores Government’s residence.